What's on TAP
     
March 05, 2012
Introducing TAP's new app...tapObserver!
The National Institute for Excellence in Teaching (NIET) is pleased to announce its new TAP app — tapObserver — available in iTunes for iPad.
The tapObserver app enhances the TAP system evaluation process by helping evaluators (principals, master and mentor teachers) more efficiently and accurately collect evidence during a classroom observation. It is a powerful tool for providing evaluation feedback and support more quickly and thoroughly to improve teacher practice.
Here’s what you can do with tapObserver:
- Script faster and more precisely by typing directly into your iPad;
- Capture photos and videos;
- Create time stamps to help track lesson pacing;
- Categorize relevant evidence from your scripting notes by TAP rubric indicator;
- Generate an evidence collection template that is automatically populated with your categorized evidence;
- Assign a score of 1-5 on the TAP rubric; and
- Export the completed evidence collection and scores into an HTML file for easy emailing.
TapObserver is available for a one-time fee of $49.99.
To purchase tapObserver, go to http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapobserver/id500263820?mt=8.
The latest addition to NIET's innovative Web-based resources, tapObserver is the first in a series of apps designed to help TAP educators streamline their tasks.
- You must update to the iOS 5 mobile operating system to run tapObserver on your iPad. For assistance downloading iOS 5, visit www.apple.com.
- While supported on iPad 1, you need to use the iPad 2 to benefit from tapObserver’s picture and video technology.
To learn more about TAP and its online tools and resources, visit www.tapsystem.org.
Paul Vallas, Superintendent, Recovery School District, Louisiana
"I'm a huge fan of TAP. The TAP model is a model that works. The greatest strength of the TAP model is the creation of local school leadership teams: the acknowledgment and recognition that principals alone cannot do it..."